Date: December 4, 2013
District: 4 -
Contact: Allyn Amsk
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
U.S. 101 / State Route 116 Construction in Petaluma
Traffic Shift Scheduled for Northbound U.S. 101 on Tuesday Night, December 10
Full Closures Planned at SR 116 and U.S. 101 Kastania Overcrossing
Petaluma, Sonoma County – Construction continues for the U.S. 101/State Route 116 Interchange Project and the U.S. 101 Petaluma Boulevard South Interchange Project.
Traffic Shift for Northbound U.S. 101
Tuesday night, December 10, Caltrans has scheduled a traffic shift for northbound U.S. 101 at the State Route 116 interchange. Southbound U.S. 101 traffic will be shifted to the right shoulder. This shift will allow northbound traffic to be shifted to the left across the median to the southbound bridge. There will be two northbound lanes and two southbound lanes sharing the same bridge. This traffic shift will remain in effect until summer or fall of 2014 while the old northbound bridge over SR 116 is removed and replaced with a new bridge.
Northbound and southbound lanes will be separated by a concrete barrier, and the speed limit in the construction zone will reduced to 45 MPH. It is essential for the safety of motorists and construction workers that this speed limit is observed. This speed limit will be enforced by the California Highway Patrol.
U.S. 101 Ramp Closures
- The northbound U.S. 101 off-ramp to SR 116 will be closed on Tuesday night, December 10, and Wednesday night, December 11, from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- The northbound U.S. 101 on-ramp from SR 116 will be closed Tuesday night, December 10, and Wednesday night, December 11, from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Full Closures of State Route 116 at U.S. 101
- Once traffic has been shifted, the contractor will begin removal of falsework under U.S. 101. SR 116 will be closed Thursday night, December 12, from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m., and Friday night, December 13, from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. Detour: During this closure, traffic may detour to Caulfield Lane and S. McDowell Boulevard.
- Demolition of the northbound U.S. 101 bridge structure is scheduled for later in the month. This demolition will also require a full closure of SR 116. More details regarding closure hours and detours will be forthcoming once the plan is fully established.
Full Closure of U.S. 101 at the Kastania Overcrossing
- An additional full closure is planned for northbound and southbound U.S. 101 to remove falsework from the Kastania Overcrossing, just south of the Petaluma Boulevard South interchange. More details regarding closure hours and detours will be forthcoming once the plan is fully established.
This work is weather dependent. If it is delayed due to weather conditions, it will be rescheduled for a later time. Please drive cautiously through the construction zone and leave a safe traveling distance between your vehicle and the vehicle ahead of you. Please remember to “Slow for the Cone Zone.”
For more information about the project, please visit our website at http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist4/101petalumablvd/. Follow us on Twitter: Caltrans District 4 @Sonoma101.