Date: February 19, 2014
District: 4 -
Contact: Allyn Amsk
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
U.S. 101 Old Redwood Highway
Interchange Improvement Project
Long Term On-Ramp Closures Scheduled
for Tuesday night, February 25
Bridge Demolition and Full Freeway
Closure Planned for March 2014
Petaluma, Sonoma County –Caltrans has scheduled lane and ramp closures for the Old Redwood Highway Interchange project in Petaluma.
- Caltrans will close the southbound U.S. 101 loop on-ramp and southbound U.S. 101 off-ramp Thursday night, February 20, from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m., Friday night, February 21, from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m., and Monday night, February 24, from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. The southbound diagonal on-ramp to U.S. 101 will remain open during this work.
- Tuesday night, February 25, Caltrans will switch traffic to the new bridge at Old Redwood Highway/Petaluma Boulevard North Interchange and close the old bridge. During this work, Petaluma Boulevard North/ Old Redwood Highway North will be closed at U.S. 101, and all ramps at the interchange will be closed from 10 p.m. Tuesday night to 5 a.m. Wednesday morning.
- There will be various lane closures on northbound and southbound U.S. 101 during the closure hours noted above. At least one lane will remain open in each direction during this work.
Northbound and Southbound U.S. 101 Ramp Closure
When this new bridge is opened, the northbound diagonal on-ramp from Old Redwood Highway, and the southbound diagonal on-ramp from Petaluma Boulevard North will be closed for approximately four to six months. This closure is necessary to build a new on-ramp that will connect to the realigned roadway.
- During the long-term on-ramp closures, westbound traffic on Old Redwood Highway will turn left at a temporary traffic signal and use the existing northbound U.S. 101 loop on-ramp.
- Westbound traffic from Old Redwood Highway will continue to use the existing loop on-ramp to travel to southbound U.S. 101.
- Eastbound traffic on Petaluma Blvd. North will turn left at a traffic signal and use the existing northbound U.S. 101 loop on-ramp.
- Eastbound traffic will use the existing loop on-ramp to travel north on U.S. 101.
- One lane will remain open in each direction on the bridge for through traffic.
- This ramp closure is expected to cause delays and additional time should be allowed when traveling through the area.
Demolition of the old bridge will require full freeway closures in March 2014. A traffic advisory will be released as soon as the work is scheduled.
This work is weather dependent. If it is delayed due to weather conditions, it will be rescheduled for a later time. Please drive cautiously through the construction zone and leave a safe traveling distance between your vehicle and the vehicle ahead of you. Please remember to Slow for the Cone Zone. The California Highway Patrol will be on site during these closures.
For information about other projects in Sonoma County, visit the Department’s website at www.dot.ca.gov/dist4 or follow us on Twitter: Caltrans District 4 @Sonoma101